Author Notes: The perfect spring dish with sweet roasted fennel on a bed of spinach, jewelled with pomegranate seeds and drizzled with a fresh tahini dressing. —Natalie Tamara
fennel bulbs, stalks trimmed and cut into thick slices
tablespoons maple syrup or plant-based honey
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
grams fresh spinach leaves
cooked or pickled beetroot, cut into cubes
pomegranate, seeds only
tablespoon olive oil
tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Heat oil on a baking tray in the oven for a few minutes. Once hot, add the fennel and black pepper to the baking tray and mix well to coat the fennel.
- Roast in the oven for around 25 minutes before adding the maple syrup/honey, mix well and return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until the fennel has turned golden brown.
- In a small bowl, mix the tahini, oil and lemon together until they are fully combined to form a smooth sauce. If it is too thick, add a little more oil or lemon.
- Add the spinach and beetroot to a bowl then top with the roasted fennel. Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and drizzle over the tahini dressing.
- Serve whilst the fennel is still warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff