If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I just finished a short course in Cuisines of Asia and the instructor, Chef Ken, gave me permission to use this recipe from our two days focused on Indian (yes, I know only two days...but it was enough time to allow me to burn myself on a 800-degree tandoor skewer - not fun!). It appears cauliflower and tomatoes are a healthful hit. Together they make a serving "High In" fiber, vitamins A and C, iron, thiamin and potassium. Serve this as an appetizer, side or main dish. Note that you will only get 2-3 "steaks" per cauliflower - from the center where the core is thickest. With the remaining florets, might I recommend Cauliflower Gratin? —Vegetarianized.com
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large onion, 1/2" dice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika (not smoked)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 28 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1 large cauliflower (3 lbs+)
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds, optional
- Preheat grill or grill pan on medium-high. (Alternatively, but you will lose the smoky flavor, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.)
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp EVOO over medium-low heat in a medium pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt, ginger, coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon and bay leaves to the pot. Stir to coat the onions and garlic. Then add the tomatoes with its juice. Simmer for 30 minutes (or more if you have the time, it will only improve).
- Cut 3 steaks from the cauliflower from the center of the head where the core is the thickest.
- Brush one side of each steak with 1 tsp EVOO and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Grill oil-side down 2-4 minutes, depending on the heat of your grill. Brush the top of the steak with another 1 tsp EVOO while it's grilling. Turn over gently and grill the second side. (If roasting in the oven, brush both sides with remaining 2 Tbsp EVOO and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. Roast 15-20 minutes, turning halfway, until browned on both sides.)
- Remove and sprinkle with black sesame seeds, if using.
- To serve, spoon tomato sauce onto a platter or individual plate/bowl and top with the cauliflower steak (or vice versa).