Author Notes: Pâte de fruit (pronounced pat-de-fwee) are beautiful flavor-packed fruit jellies. They are pretty much concentrated fruit gummies,but they have a frou-frou name. These gummies are vegetarian as they are set using pectin which is derived from plants. Pectin is usually used as a gelling agent in jams and jellies. The amount of pectin used is directly proportional to how set the jelly will be. More pectin = set gummies you can cut, less pectin = spreadable loose jellies/jams.
The first time I made these I didn’t use enough pectin and they never set. It was a goopy mess. I re-melted the goopy mess and added more pectin when I hit 140F. They ended up setting perfectly! If you do mess up a batch and the pâte de fruit don’t set, you can fix it by reheating it, adding more pectin and following through the rest of the recipe.
They are super easy to make as long as you follow the recipe and hit and hold all the temperature required. They taste amazing and are packed with fruit flavor. I actually like to think they’re healthy because they aren’t any preservative or sweeteners other than sugar. Try it out! —Milk and Cardamom
tablespoon lemon juice
ounces liquid pectin
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray. If you are using a silicone mold like I am, just make sure it’s clean.
- Blend the strawberries until smooth. Strain puree using a into a medium saucepan to remove the seeds.
- Stir lemon juice and 1/2 cup of sugar into the strawberry puree and place the pan on medium high heat. Make sure to place your candy thermometer high enough so that it doesn’t touch the bottom of the pan.
- Continuously stir the mixture until it reaches 140F and add in liquid pectin and rest of the sugar. Lower the heat to medium.
- Keep stirring the mixture. When the mixture hits 200F, lower the heat so that it holds at 200F for 2-3 minutes and keep stirring.
- Bring heat up back to medium. Keep stirring and until it hits 230F. Lower the heat like before to hold the temperature at 230F for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into your prepared pan or mold. Be quick because the mixture will start to set pretty quickly.Allow to cool to room temperature and set. DO NOT put it in the fridge. The humidity in the fridge will make these leaky and gross.
- Once set either pop out of your mold or cut your slab into small pieces. Roll the pâte de fruit in sugar. Place in sealed container until ready to serve.