If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's like your favorite, most Instagrammable breakfast, except jacked up on steroids and almost too enormous to fit into your mouth. In Major League Lunch, steroids means fresh mozzarella and a first ballot entrance into the Hall of Fame. Also: I am partial to husked tomatillos for this sandwich because of their apple-like crunch and tart flavor, plus I like everything being green because I am THAT color-coding nerd from third grade. If they’re in season/you prefer a more normal tomato flavor, a big ol’ heirloom slice will do just fine. —Kendra Vaculin
Makes 1 sandwich, except you’ll want 2 for yourself probably
- 2 pieces of your number 1 favorite kind of toast
- 1 big scoop avocado flesh (I used about 1/3 of a whole ‘cado)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Flaky sea salt, like Maldon
- Red pepper flakes
- Pesto, leftover from when you made it for pasta last night
- A few very thin rounds cucumber
- A few slices tomatillo (see note above)
- 2 thick slices fresh mozzarella
- Small handful spinach leaves
- On one slice, create the perfect avocado toast. Smash your ‘cado and spread from end to end, and then sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, sea salt, and a serious hit of red pepper flakes.
- On the other slice, spread a layer of pesto.
- Distribute the fillings between the two individually lovely toast specimens, pile your fillings: small cucumber rounds, slightly overlapping and shingled; big crunchy slices of tomatillo and creamy cool rounds of fresh mozzarella; a splay of spinach leaves; and a little heap of sprouts. If it’s breakfast time/you need more protein/you’re ready for a mess/you LIVE ON THE EDGE, add a fried egg. And then say yes because I'm asking you to marry me.
- Smash everything together between the toast bookends and sigh the big sigh of sandwich nirvana.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!