If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is for those who love potato salad but just can't bear to stomach the idea of potatoes being swathed in mayonnaise (myself included). Red potatoes, bacon, caramelized onions and green onions are bathed in a tangy dressing. Unlike potato salads with mayo, this one is best eaten warm or at room temperature with no fear of spoilage in the heat. With summer just around the corner, this salad a perfect side dish for picnics and barbecues. Or even better a light Sunday lunch.
NOTE: I am partial to this mustard that you can only get in Hawaii but is available for online order. It's called Aunty Lilikoi's Passion Fruit Wasabi Mustard. If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend it for this salad. If not, any honey mustard will work as a substitute! —Kara Chin
pounds red potatoes, boiled and cubed
red onion, sliced
pieces bacon, chopped
green onions, diced
cup olive oil
tablespoons apple cider vinegar
tablespoons honey mustard
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place bacon on a sheet pan covered in foil and bake for 15 minutes. Chop and set aside.
- In the meantime, boil the potatoes until tender. Cube into 1 inch pieces and set aside.
- On medium low heat, caramelize the sliced onions in leftover bacon grease until they are soft and a rich brown color.
- Combine the warm cubed potatoes, chopped bacon, caramelized onions and diced green onions in a large bowl.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a half pint mason far. Seal and shake vigorously until the dressing has emulsified.
- Pour dressing over the salad fixings and toss together. Let sit for 15-30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. This is best eaten warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad