If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a simplified version of the avocado beet salad in Yottam Ottelenghi's Plenty More. Adapted to be CSA share friendly and easy! —Early Morning Farm
Serves 4 - 6
For the Salad
- 4 medium size beets
- 2 avocados
- 1 red onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 lemon for dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 - 3 teaspoons hot sauce like cholula or tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the beets. Peel and slice the beets into paper thin slices. If you have one use a food processor or mandolin. If not, a sharp knife will work. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the beets for 2 -3 minutes depending on the thickness of the beets, then rinse under cold water. Beets should be softened, but not falling apart. Pat dry with a towel. Combine the onions and beets in a bowl.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the ingredients, then pour over the onions and beets. Let sit for 15 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the beets on a large platter or individual plates. Top with thinly sliced avocado, a sprinkle of salt, and a squeeze of lemon. Serve immediately. The onions and beets will keep well in the refrigerator if you want to make them in advance, and top with avocado just before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad