Author Notes: Skip the ketchup and add some of this zingy tomato relish to your next burger. —Jennifer Perillo
Makes: 1 1/2 pints
pounds tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (see note in step 3)
cup cider vinegar
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon whole mustard seeds
whole basil leaves
In This Recipe
- Evenly divide tomatoes among glass jars; set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for basil, to a 2-quart pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer until liquid slightly thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour an even amount of liquid over the tomatoes in each jar, tuck 2 basil leaves in with a chopstick, cover and let cool before storing in refrigerator for up to one month, or process in a hot-water canning bath for 15 minutes for long term storage.
- Note: To peel the tomatoes, cut an "x" on the underside of the tomato (also known as scoring) and then immerse them in a pot of boiling water for 30 to 45 seconds, until the skins slightly wrinkle. Remove and plunge into cold water to stop cooking process. Slip the skins off and place the flesh in a food processor. Pulse 2 to 3 times, until coarsely chopped.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Preserves
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tomato Recipe