If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These spicy New England Crab Cakes feature large lumps of fresh crab and a complimentary red pepper wasabi remoulade sauce instead of the traditional tartar sauce. If your clam bake is taking place on the West Coast, select Pacific Northwest Dungeness Crab. If you are on the east coast, buy fresh and flavorful Blue Crab meat. Form the crab cakes the size of a quarter for appetizers or in hamburger-sized patties with a salad for a delicious main course. —Lynda Marren
Serves 6 people
Ingredients for Crab Cake
- 10 ounces fresh crab meat, picked clean of shell bits
- 1-1/4 cups bread crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons diced red pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
Ingredients for Wasabi Red Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 whole roasted & peeled red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives (for garnish)
- Directions for crab cakes: Place crab meat in bowl and add 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, scallion, cilantro, garlic, red pepper, sour cream, Tabasco and salt. Mix lightly to combine well.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs and toasted almonds in a food processor and process into fine crumbs.
- Form crab cakes then dip each patty into breadcrumb & almond mixture to coat.
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium-high. Drizzle skillet with oil and lay patties in pan. Handle carefully as they are delicate. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden in color. Warm in oven until ready to serve.
- Directions for Sauce: Combine sour cream, cream cheese, wasabi paste, lime juice, tomatoes, bell pepper, salt and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Drizzle sauce on warm crab cakes and sprinkle with chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore