If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the summer and fall, little gem lettuce is abundant in farmers' markets and farm-to-table restaurants. Little gems taste like baby romaine with a crunch on the inside and tender greens like butter lettuce on the outside. Similar to the iceberg wedge salad of days gone by, but updated! —Lynda Marren
Serves 6 people
Ingredients for Salad
- 1-1/2 cups slab bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half and slow roasted
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (optional)
Ingredients for Buttermilk Dressing
- 2 whole white anchovies
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Directions for Salad: Cut bacon into half-inch cubes.
- Cook bacon into lardons by heating heavy skillet on stove to high heat. Add olive oil and chopped bacon. Reduce heat and saute until outside of cubes are crisp and center is chewy, about 8 minutes. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Directions for Dressing: Puree all dressing ingredients in food processor until smooth. Taste and add salt or pepper if desired. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Note: For a large platter for a buffet, smear some dressing on the center of the platter or individual plates before placing down little gems. This will hold the leaves in place and add flavor.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore