If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This easy slaw is delicious alongside ribs or chicken – even as the topping to a barbecued pork sandwich! —garlic and zest
- 3/4 pound brussel sprouts, roots trimmed, shredded
- 1 granny smith apple, (skin on) seeded and cored, shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cored and shredded
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350. Lay almonds in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake for 6-8 minutes until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- There's a lot of shredding in this slaw -- for the ultimate ease - use the shredder attachment on your food processor. Otherwise, a box grater or mandoline work well.
- Combine the shredded brussel sprouts, apple, carrot and fennel in a large bowl. Add a the lemon juice and toss to combine.
- In a small skillet, toast the fennel seeds until warm, fragrant, and beginning to pop. Remove from heat and use a mortar and pestle, spice grinder or a heavy rolling pin to crush the seeds.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the slaw and toss thoroughly to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the almonds -- if you add them too early, they'll get soft.