This easy slaw is delicious alongside ribs or chicken – even as the topping to a barbecued pork sandwich!
This easy slaw is delicious alongside ribs or chicken – even as the topping to a barbecued pork sandwich!—garlic and zest
pound brussel sprouts, roots trimmed, shredded
granny smith apple, (skin on) seeded and cored, shredded
carrot, peeled and shredded
fennel bulb, cored and shredded
squeeze of lemon juice
teaspoon fennel seed
tablespoons distilled white vinegar
cup sliced almonds
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350. Lay almonds in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake for 6-8 minutes until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- There's a lot of shredding in this slaw -- for the ultimate ease - use the shredder attachment on your food processor. Otherwise, a box grater or mandoline work well.
- Combine the shredded brussel sprouts, apple, carrot and fennel in a large bowl. Add a the lemon juice and toss to combine.
- In a small skillet, toast the fennel seeds until warm, fragrant, and beginning to pop. Remove from heat and use a mortar and pestle, spice grinder or a heavy rolling pin to crush the seeds.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the slaw and toss thoroughly to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the almonds -- if you add them too early, they'll get soft.