If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Filled with bananas, pineapples, pecans, and layered with thick cream cheese frosting, Hummingbird Cake is Carrot Cake’s lesser-known (but hunkier) sibling. —modest marce
Serves 10 to 12
For the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups raw sugar
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped raw pecans
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Grease two 8-inch circular cake pans. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl using a wooden spoon, mix together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
- Stir in the pineapple and bananas. Add the coconut, if desired.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir until just combined. It is important to not over-mix this batter.
- Stir in the pecans and evenly divide the batter between the two cake pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool completely before removing them from the pans and frosting (recipe below).
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar, or as desired
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the sugar is well incorporated, add the cream cheese in chunks and mix until it is evenly combined. Do not over-mix after adding the cream cheese as the frosting will become runny.
- Frost cake as desired (I usually slice each cake in half length-wise, then frost each of the layers, then around the exterior) and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!