1. Wash and pat dry your fiddleheads. Once dried, cut the brown ends off and immediately place in a pot of water to prevent re-browning. (It’s best to store your fiddleheads in the refrigerator in a bowl of water until you’re ready to use them. This will also serve to clean them.)
2. Bring your fiddleheads to a boil and gently boil for 3-4 minutes, then immediately remove them from the hot water and submerge in cold water to stop further cooking.
3. Mix together brown sugar, white miso, rice vinegar, ginger, and water until smooth, and set aside. I used frozen ginger to save on prep time.
4. In a pan, heat the sesame oil over medium heat, then add the fiddleheads. Sauté 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and miso mixture to the pan and cook for an another 2 minutes until the sauce becomes bubbly and thick.
5. Garnish with black sesame seeds and serve immediately.