If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hummus with a twist! Add pickled beet brine to a simple hummus recipe to brighten up any appetizer table. Serve with pita, olives, feta, etc. —Early Morning Farm
Serves a crowd
Pickled Beets (adapted from David Chang's Pickled Anything)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 or 3 beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve sugar and salt in the warm water, add vinegar, and pour over beets. Can be eaten the next day or “cured” for up to a week in the fridge before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 - 15 oz can)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup beet pickling liquid
- juice from half a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- finely chopped pickled beets for garnish
- Place the garlic in a food processor, then process the garlic alone until it’s finely minced. Add the tahini, beans, olive oil, and cumin and process until smooth and creamy. Add the pickling liquid and lemon juice, process until mixture is pink and uniform in texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with pickled beets just before serving.