Author Notes: When you swap out rolled oats for irregularly-sized pieces of Cracklin' Oat Bran, you get a granola that bakes much more quickly than the usual rendition and needs barely any additional sweetener. And because Cracklin' Oat Bran is already flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg, you don't have to dump in a whole slew of spices either.
I like mixing in chopped candied ginger and big flakes of coconut; the latter is a natural addition because Cracklin' Oat Bran already contains coconut (surprise!). I'd imagine this granola would be just as good with tart dried cherries, walnuts, or banana chips. —Sarah Jampel
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
grams Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal
grams unsweetened coconut flakes
grams sliced almonds
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoons coconut oil
teaspoons honey or agave nectar
grams crystallized ginger, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 300° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a knife or your hands, break the Cracklin' Oat Bran squares into uneven pieces, leaving some whole or halved and breaking others into lentil-sized pieces or smaller.
- Mix the cereal with the coconut and almonds.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the olive oil and coconut oil with the salt and honey until melted.
- Pour the liquid over the cereal and nuts and stir to coat. Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cereal has darkened and feels dry to the touch. Mix in the chopped crystallized ginger.
- Allow to cool, then eat with milk or cereal (or by the handful). Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!