If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Baking the eggplant slices on parchment allows them to get dark and pungent- the perfect contrast to the lemony ricotta cheese filling. —Kingfishercooks
- 2 Eggplants
- 1/2 Lemon zest
- 2 cups Shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 1/8 cup Finely chopped parsley flat leaf
- 1/8 cup Good olive oil
- 1 Clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Jar Rao's tomato basil pasta sauce
- Preheat overn to 400. Combine the ricotta, lemon zest, egg, parsley, 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella and the parm. cheese together.
- Cut the ends from the eggplants. Stand on end and thinly slice- about 1/8 inches. You should get about 18 good slices. I cut more in case any break. Put the slices in a colander and dust with salt.
- Mix the chopped garlic with the olive oil and let it sit while the eggplant sweats for about 20 minutes.
- Blot the eggplant slices dry and put them on a parch,ENT lined baking sheet. Generously brush with the oil mixture. Grind pepper over them. If you like kick, add red pepper flakes. Bake for about 15 minutes or until brown. Lower oven temp to 350.
- Put some of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish to cover it slightly. When cool, put a heaping soup spoon full of the ricotta mixture at the thin end of each slice of eggplant and jelly roll each up and place in a baking dish seam side down.
- Pour rest of the sauce over and then sprinkle on the shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbling. Serve with a good green salad.