Author Notes: This cousin to the well-known gazpacho is thicker and makes for a fresh, light yet satisfying summer meal —Ala Lemon
grams / 3.5 oz. slightly stale bread (that’s about 2 slices)
pounds ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
green pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped (optional)
garlic cloves, roughly chopped
tablespoons tbsp extra virgin olive oil + extra for drizzling
tablespoons vinegar, ideally Xeres
milliliters water (a little less than ½ cup)
To serve: 1 finely chopped hard-boiled egg, 50g/ 2-3 slices finely chopped Serrano ham
In This Recipe
- Soak the bread in a shallow dish of water for 30 seconds on each side.
- In a blender, blitz together the soaked bread, tomatoes, green pepper, garlic and olive oil.
- Add the cider vinegar, water and a large pinch of salt, then mix again until smooth. If you find your soup too thick, add a little more water.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Pour into a bowl and refrigerate the soup for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and top with the egg and ham.