Author Notes: It is surprising how delicious this dish is considering its simplicity and its use of very few ingredients. It’s the perfect impromptu snack or starter. It seems almost too good to be true considering it is vegan, healthy, quick and easy. There is something so soul satisfying about the very simple combination of the Tuscan cabbage, the peppery olive oil and crunch of the bread. The best time to make this dish is during the winter after the first frost so that the cabbage is sweet. —woo wei-duan
slices of coarse country bread
garlic clove, skinned and bruised
grams Tuscan black cabbage (cavolo nero), use
black pepper, freshly ground
- Grill or toast the bread. Rub the bruised garlic on the bread.
- Cut the central rib from the leaves of the cavolo nero and discard.
- Bring to a boil salted water in a saucepan. Add about 2 to 3 grams of black pepper and 20 mls of olive oil to the water. Place the cavolo nero into the water and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Slice the cabbage into strips.
- Place the bread into a bowl and place the cavolo nero on top. Use a ladle to pour about 100 mls of the cooking water over the bread.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.