If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chickpeas with spice, herbs and lemon are a street snack in Pakistan called Chaat, with bursts of Chaat masala, made up of piquant black salt, dried mango powder, cumin, coriander seeds and black pepper, its a salivating heady mixture that entices all the senses. Topped with lashings of sour tamarind chutney and coriander mint chutney, these are tantalising combinations that speak of a flavour of Pakistan. Served here with tamarind and brown sugar marinated grilled lamb cutlets is just a wonderful reminiscent flavour of home. —Sumayya Usmani
For the Tamarind lamb marinade:
- 4 lamb cutlets
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala ( Substitute Chaat masala by adding 1/2 tsp each of dry roasted ground cumin, coriander, brown sugar, salt and lemon juice to the tamarind paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic puree
- Oil to brush the grill with
- Salt to taste
For the spicy chickpea salad:
- 1 tin chickpeas, or 250 g of pre-soaked dried and boiled chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon each of dry roasted and ground cumin and coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon each of chopped mint and coriander leaves
- Handful each of Pomodoro baby tomatoes, spinach, chopped cooked beetroo
- Salt to taste
- 1 piece Paneer cheese, chargrilled with lamb, cut into small pieces
- Juice of half a lemon
- Assemble salad by combine all the spicy chickpea salad ingredients above, place on plate. For the dry roasted red chilli, coriander and cumin seeds, heat a dry pan and roast until light brown, then bash in a mortar and pestle.
- Marinate the lamb by combining the ingredients for the lamb cutlets above, leave for few minutes. Brush or spray some oil on a grill pan and chargrill the paneer followed by the lamb, until cooked to desired time. Serve on top of the chickpea Chaat salad topped with a sprinkling of any remaining Chaat masala.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Barbecued Meat