If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A light spring twist on the traditional bean burger. Fresh chickpeas are mixed together with turmeric and mustard to create a yellow, spicy chickpea and shiitake patty. —Austin | Tea & Stories
Chickpea & Shiitake Turmeric Burgers
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 16 ounces chickpeas, soaked and drained
- 1 large shiitake mushroom
- 2 green onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinches salt
Chili Lime Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons wheat beer
- 4 tablespoons tapioca flour
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Wash and slice sweet potato into thin strips, leaving the skin on. In a medium bowl, mix fries together with lime juice, beer, chili powder, and tapioca flour. The tapioca flour will form a hard crust on the outside of the fries, making them nice and crunchy when they come out of the oven. Place in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, turn the fries over and bake for another 15 minutes or until crispy.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to boil. Add 1 cup of quinoa and a pinch of salt. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- In a food processor, pulse chickpeas and shiitake mushrooms until coarsely chopped. Add spring onions, garlic, lemon juice and cashews. Mix until coarsely chopped, then add raw cashews and pulse until incorporated into the mixture. Stir in quinoa, mustard seed, turmeric, salt, and oat flour. Shape into patties and roll in breadcrumbs, covering the surface. Set in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, or until patties firmly hold together.
- Remove the patties from the refrigerator. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Cook the burgers for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until a crunchy crust forms. Pop in the oven with the fries for 10-15 minutes.
- Top your burger with avocado smash, dill and alfalfa sprouts, sweet onions, and cheesy tahini dressing. I also kept some tahini dressing on the side so I could dip as often as I wanted.