If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is inspired by one from Ashley Rodriguez of Not Without Salt. Please play! Try a different herb or a different sweetener on your fruit. And roast all of your fruit from here on out: I have a jar of these roasted strawberries sitting in my fridge, and I've been putting them in everything. I am a happier person because of it. —Kenzi Wilbur
Serves 2 to 4
For the roasted strawberries:
- 1 pound strawberries (from the market if you can get them), hulled and halved
- 3 to 4 tablespoons turbinado sugar, depending on sweetness of berries
- Pinch salt
- 4 to 5 thin lemon slices
- Heat oven to 375° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat (the rim is important: the berries will release a lot of juice!), and toss the berries with the sugar right on the baking sheet. Sprinkle them with a pinch of salt, and lay the lemon slices evenly over the top.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the fruit is soft, has released its juice, and the juice has started to thicken just slightly. Remove the lemon slices and let cool completely. These can be made a day ahead.
For the milkshake:
- 1 pint good vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup good-quality buttermilk
- Leaves from 3 healthy mint sprigs
- Roasted strawberries
- Pile everything in a blender and blend! Feel free to add a little more buttermilk if you like a thinner consistency. Pour into glasses and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!