If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: And today's stove-top meal is... Breakfast Sausage! It's what's for dinner (well, tonight, anyways). I recently bought a jar of juniper berries in hopes of using them in something fabulous (homemade gin, anyone?), but had a pound of Berkshire pork in the freezer and a hankerin' for some sausage, so this is the result. —mrslarkin
Food52 Review: WHO: We all know mrslarkin is a scone whisperer, but this recipe proves that not all of her best creations happen in the oven.
WHAT: A breakfast treat made for Sunday mornings (and egg sandwiches).
HOW: Grind together garlic, thyme leaves, coriander and anise seeds, and juniper berries, then add to salted ground pork. Form into patties, pan-fry, and pat yourself on the back for making a hot breakfast (or dinner!).
WHY WE LOVE IT: This recipe made us rethink our daily bowls of cereal and reminded us of the beauty of a hot breakfast, plus the juniper berries added a brightness we rarely see in sausage. Make a batch for Sunday brunch, then freeze the leftovers to pop on the pan for a weekday treat. —The Editors
Makes: eight 2-ounce patties
garlic clove, minced
2 to 3
sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and stems discarded
teaspoon anise seeds
pound ground pork
teaspoon sea salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the garlic, thyme leaves, coriander seeds, anise seeds and juniper berries.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pork with salt, pepper, and spices.
- Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Form pork into eight 2-ounce patties. In a non-stick pan, sauté the sausage patties over medium-low heat until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with some smashed taters, hash browns, or grits. Or, make a kick-ass biscuit sandwich with some scrambled eggs and cheese.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!