If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been wanting to tell you about this dish for some time now and I thought I’d better get it to you before we get deep into grilling season. You know my husband is not fond of my one meatless meal per week, (although last week I snuck in two and he didn’t notice!) One night I threw together this dish and it was so satisfying, rich, delicious and different too! With the oil cured black olives and fresh fennel, each adding their own distinctive flavor, the sweet fresh tomatoes added at the end, along with the creaminess of the mozzarella, this is a recipe you will want to repeat. Give this eggplant, mozzarella and oil-cured black olive spaghetti dish a try and your meat lover will not complain. Mine asked me to make it again! —MaryFrancesCooks
- 3 small zebra striped eggplants, washed, trimmed and sliced lengthwise in half and then in 1/2 slices
- 1/2 I have been wanting to tell you about this dish for some time now and I thought I’d better get it to you before we get deep into grilling season. You know my husband is not fond of my one meatless meal per week, (although last week I snuck in two and he d
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 5 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup oil-cured, pitted, black olives (the wrinkled ones)
- 7 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/4” slices, then 1/4” strips, then cut each strip in half again
- course sea salt for pasta water
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- Fill a large pot with cold water and bring to a boil. Salt with the coarse sea salt and add the pasta. Cook till al dente. Remove and reserve at least 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a large skillet, add the eggplant and fennel and cook on low heat, covered while stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the minced garlic, cover and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and olives. Stir and cook for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Stir in your cooked pasta, pasta water and the cheese to combine and toss thoroughly to finish cooking your pasta.
- Check seasonings – it may need some pepper but not much else. At least I didn’t need anything else, except to serve with LOVE!