If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you are like me and are drawn to flavors from around the world, this recipe will transport you there with each bite! The rub was inspired by www.marcussamuelsson.com and is full of flavor that can stand alone or be served with your favorite bbq sauce. —Dee
Protein & Vegetable Hash
- 6 pounds pork ribs
- 4 cups halved brussel sprouts or other root vegetables in season
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash or any squash in season
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 piece bacon
- 8 pieces sunny side up eggs (optional)
- 1 cup whole pecans (optional)
Berbere Spice Mix
- 6 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 3 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon whole all spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 1/2 cups dried onion flakes
- 3 teaspoons chili flakes
- 9 tablespoons paprika
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Clean ribs, trimming fat and membrane.
- Take spice mix and grind in spice grinder until fine.
- Rub spice on ribs until evenly coated.
- Place ribs in air tight container and marinate for up to 24hrs.
- After marinating, pre-heat oven to 225F and place ribs on foil lined baking dish, then wrap ribs tightly to create steam pocket.
- Bake ribs for 3-4hrs checking tenderness of ribs periodically.
- When ribs are tender and pull away from bone, but do not fall apart, pre-heat grill to medium-high heat to brown on each side for about 5-6 minutes.
- Frequently baste with your favorite bbq sauce and grill until desired brownness is achieved.
- For the vegetable hash: blanch halved brussels spouts and butternut squash separately under tender.
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch strips. In a separate pan, cook bacon strips until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy.
- Place pecans in mixing bowl and drizzle with oil until evenly coated and salt to taste. Pre-heat oven to 350F and place pecans on parchment paper on baking pan. Roast until golden brown.
- Saute diced onions in bacon fat until translucent, then add brussels sprouts and butternut squash. Salt to taste. Add roasted pecans and mix together before serving.
- In a separate pan, crack eggs and cook on low heat until egg white is fully cook leaving yolk wet and intact. Place sunny side up eggs atop hash.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Barbecued Meat