If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These waffles are a riff on a recipe my brother Dean discovered in Killington, Vermont. He has played around with the proportions over the years, but says the key to making them great is to use pearl sugar—and lots of it. —Amanda Hesser
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons pearl sugar or partially smashed sugar cubes
- Your favorite chocolate, melted, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Separate egg whites and yolks and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the yolks, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla, then mix in the dry ingredients until combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites to a thick foam.
- Fold sugar and foamy egg whites into the batter; the mixture should have lumps of sugar.
- Cook each waffle according to the directions on your waffle iron, and drizzle the warm waffles with melted chocolate.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!