Author Notes: I’m a big tahini fan. It’s basically grownup peanut butter and it just adds something special to recipes that call for nut butters. Now, I’m not quite ready to whip up any tahini and jelly sandwiches, but I’m very into adding spoonfuls of it to cookie dough, dressing, hot chocolate, smoothies, and shakes! Since it’s now officially summer, I think it’s high-time to spend any free moments sitting outside and drinking cold drinks. And that often means cool and creamy tahini shakes, which are basically milkshakes for breakfast—get excited!
I’ve made a pact with myself to take fifteen minutes every morning to drink one of these, read a few pages of very important literature, and not think about anything else. And then those precious minutes are over and it’s back to writing cover letters and freelance article pitches, and crying—I mean, being excited by the challenge of not knowing what’s ahead. Ah, the post-grad life!
http://spicesandspatulas.com/2015/06/21/v-gf-date-shake/ —Rebecca Firkser
Food52 Review: For someone who doesn't love frozen bananas, I wasn't overly excited at first—but I changed my tune after trying it: It was so simple and really tasty. The almond milk added a nice creaminess, as did the chia seeds. I loved it and will make it again (probably tomorrow morning, with the other half of the frozen banana). And I tried a little bit of dark rum in the last little bit... Quite scrumptious!! —Victoria Ross
cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 cup date water)
teaspoon vanilla extract
teaspoons chia seeds
deglet nour dates, pitted
Ice, as needed
teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- In two separate bowls, soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes and the chia seeds in warm water for 5.
- Combine everything in a blender and blend until it breaks up all of the dates. Adjust ice according to your preference. Drink it on its own for breakfast, or add a shot or two of rum or Kahlúa (but you might not want to have it for breakfast with this addition.)
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains