If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vegan ice cream made with aquafaba (chickpea brine from a can of chickpeas!) meringue. No ice cream machine required. Inspired by Bakewell tarts! —Sarah Pether-Hamill
For the almond ice cream base
- 250 milliliters coconut cream
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup chickpea brine
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the cherries and cookie dough
- 250 grams cherries
- 50 grams vegan butter
- 25 grams brown sugar
- 75 grams all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350f. Halve and pit the cherries. Spread on a baking tray and roast for 15-20 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Next make the cookie dough, in a bowl beat together the butter and sugar. Sift in the flour and salt. Stir until fully combined. Set aside.
- Make the cashew cream. Drain and rinse the soaked cashews then add them to the blender. Add 1 cup water and blend on high until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Make the almond coconut whip. Beat the coconut cream in a stand mixer then add the almond extract. Pour in the cashew cream and beat again until fully incorporated. Pour into a container and set aside.
- Make the vegan meringue. Clean the mixer bowl. Pour the chickpea brine into a saucepan and reduce on a medium heat for 5 minutes. You should end up with just shy of 3/4 of a cup of liquid. Add chickpea brine to the mixer bowl. Beat on high with the balloon whisk attachment for 5-8 minutes.
- Once the soft peaks appear, add the cream of tartar. Beat for another 5 minutes, then slowly start adding the sugar bit by bit.
- Whilst the meringue is whipping, using your hands break off finger nail sizes of the cookie dough and set aside.
- Once the meringue has formed stiff peaks, immediately fold in the cashew coconut cream mixture. It will deflate by almost half. Stir in the roasted cherries and cookie dough.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a container and place in the freezer for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. Remove from the freezer 5-10 minutes before serving.
More Great Recipes:
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts