Author Notes: A super coconutty ice-cream with hints of warming cinnamon and vanilla studded with glutinous black sticky rice (aka forbidden rice) —Miss Hangrypants
cup glutinous black rice
cans coconut milk
sticks saigon cinnamon
- Soak glutinous black rice overnight. Drain next day and rinse.
- Put rice in a small pot. Add 1 cup of water to grains, bring to boil and then let simmer for about 15-20 mins. Check to see if rice is chewy/done, drain extra water if it is and put back on heat.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and stir on low heat. Heat for about 3-5mins with lid off or until water has evaporated and rice is sticky. Allow to cool.
- Shake up 2 cans of coconut milk so the fat layer is mixed well. Put in medium pot with 1/4 cup sugar and heat to simmer (but not boiling).
- Take off heat and stir in vanilla and cinnamon sticks. Allow to cool. Strain or fish out cinnamon sticks. Chill in fridge overnight or at least 3 hours and cover with plastic wrap on surface.
- Freeze coconut mixture in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. When done churning (nice and soft), add as much of the prepared sticky black rice as you like.
- Stick it in the fridge to firm up.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert