If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A friend was telling me about a trip to Mexcio and mentioned that she would have cafe de olla coffee every morning. It sounded like a wonderful combination of sugar and spice. It also sounded like it would be a great dessert (or breakfast now that summer is here). And chocolate is something you should throw into everything. —Yellow Dog
Makes 1 quart
- 2 13.5 oz cans full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups whole coffee beans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chunks
- 1-2 tablespoons white rum
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until sugar dissolves. Take off heat and let coffee beans and cinnamon steep for 1 hour.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Rinse off the beans and cinnamon and throw into the composter. Cool liquid in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Add vanilla to liquid and make ice cream! Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- During the last two minutes of freezing add white rum (this helps prevent the ice cream from getting too hard, if you are one of those people that can have a quart of ice cream sitting in the fridge for more than a day) and chocolate chunks.
- This is the hard part. Transfer the ice cream to a container, put in the freezer and resist the urge to eat it all for 4-6 hours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
More Great Recipes: