Author Notes: A friend was telling me about a trip to Mexcio and mentioned that she would have cafe de olla coffee every morning. It sounded like a wonderful combination of sugar and spice. It also sounded like it would be a great dessert (or breakfast now that summer is here). And chocolate is something you should throw into everything. —Yellow Dog
Makes: 1 quart
13.5 oz cans full fat coconut milk
cup brown sugar
cups whole coffee beans
cup vegan chocolate chunks
tablespoons white rum
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until sugar dissolves. Take off heat and let coffee beans and cinnamon steep for 1 hour.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Rinse off the beans and cinnamon and throw into the composter. Cool liquid in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Add vanilla to liquid and make ice cream! Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- During the last two minutes of freezing add white rum (this helps prevent the ice cream from getting too hard, if you are one of those people that can have a quart of ice cream sitting in the fridge for more than a day) and chocolate chunks.
- This is the hard part. Transfer the ice cream to a container, put in the freezer and resist the urge to eat it all for 4-6 hours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert