Author Notes: While at a beach house, I threw together this salad with bits and pieces found in the fridge. —MrsWheelbarrow
cups 1" (rough) cubed bread, preferably from a good loaf gone a bit stale
tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
pound heirloom tomatoes, chopped; if cherry tomatoes, halved
cup chopped kalamata olives
cup cucumber, seeded and peeled, and cut in half moons
cup fresh mozzerella, cubed
cup fresh basil and/or parsley
tablespoons excellent extra virgin or green olive oil (pine nut or pistachio oil is heavenly)
juice of 2 lemons
fleur de sel
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Toss cubed bread with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Toast bread cubes for about 10 min. to lightly crisp, stirring halfway through cooking.
- While the bread is toasting, chop and prepare the other salad items and toss with the lemon juice into the prettiest serving bowl you can find.
- Add the warm bread to the salad items, drizzle on the excellent oil, sprinkle with crunchy fleur de sel and cracked black pepper and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tomato Recipe