Great summer appetizer. Longer marinade makes it better but shorter is fine too. —MamaIntheKitchen
- Serves 6
Spanish Mackerel Fillets (3 small)
Fennel Bulb slice thin or shaved with fronds set aside
Garlic Scapes sliced thin (or garlic cloves if out of season)
French Radishes sliced thin
Rice Wine vinegar
of Maldon Sea Salt
3 +3 tablespoons
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Parsley finely chopped
Red Onion finely diced
Grinds of Cracked Black Pepper
Baguette or Italian Bread sliced in rounds
In This Recipe
- First you want to infuse flavor into the fish and remove some of its "fishy-ness". Put fish in marinading dish. Add half olive oil, 2 pinches of salt and black pepper.
- Grab a handful of fennel fronds pull apart and add to fish marinade with a third of the garlic scape slices. Rub fish with marinade and make sure it is completely covered and distributed. Set aside fish to Marinade 30min- 1.5 hours.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except parsley and toss so that evenly coated. Set aside for 30 min- 1-5 hours.
- Once fish has marinaded for at least 15 mins. Arrange slices of baguette on cookie sheet and brush olive oil on top. Toast in 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Get your grill ready This recipe is best using grilled fish I think. I used a stovetop grill but it is probably even better on an outdoor grill.
- Grill should be very hot. Grill fish 2 minutes on 1 side and 1 minute on the other. Remove promptly to plate or cutting board.
- Cut fish into bite size pieces transfer and toss into fennel mixture. Ass Parsley. Place mixture on top of toasts and serve or put in serving dish next to plate of toasts and have guests serve themselves.