If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We paired the classic mac cheeses with a few twists – think almond milk and a splash of white wine – and we rounded the whole thing out with the always-coveted Crazy Feta.
This is mac ‘n’ cheese with just the right bite. This is 4th of July skillet mac. This will most likely be gone in one sitting. —CAVA
- 1 pound medium pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk or whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 package Cava Crazy Feta, at room temperature
- 8 ounces sharp white Cheddar, shredded
- 8 ounces white American cheese, shredded if from a block, otherwise diced
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 ears sweet corn, kernels carefully cut off
- jalapeño slivers for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes (be careful not to burn the flour).
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Reduce to low heat, bring to a simmer and cook until it becomes a thin gravy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the white pepper and ground mustard and stir to combine.
- Add the Crazy Feta and stir until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the Cheddar, American cheese, and wine, and cook until fully incorporated. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Stir in corn kernels and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with extra white cheddar cheese, then broil for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown and warmed through. Top with thin slivers of jalapeño.