If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a twist on the regular frozen lemon meringue pie, usually made with heavy cream or ice cream. This one is dairy and gluten free, and the meringue is incorporated into the lemon cream, instead of on top, which means it can be made in advance and used when needed. It is unique and delicious! Heavily adapted from baker Etty Danzig (Chatelaine 2007) and Gail Monaghan ('Lost Deserts') and other recipes I have read for inspiration! Enjoy! —linda
For the meringue: 3 egg whites, 1/2 c. sugar, pinch salt, 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar., 1/2 tsp, vanilla.
- 3 egg whites
- 0.5 cups sugar(can increase to 3/4 cup if want meringue sweeter)
- pinch salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300. Beat egg whits with pinch of salt and cream of tartar until stiff. Slowly increase speed of mixer and gradually add sugar, a little at a time, until incorporated. Add vanilla and beat a few more minutes. Spread onto a large circle or square of parchment laid onto a cookie sheet. Reduce heat to 275 and bake about 1hr. until crispy but not burnt!. Set aside or store in a dry place until ready to use.
For the lemon custard: 3 egg yolks plus 3 whole eggs, 1.5 c sugar, 1 tsp. lemon zest, one half cup fresh lemon juice..
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 0.5 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 cups sugar
- Separate the 3 whole eggs. Put the 3 whites in fridge. Using a double boiler or a bowl sitting on another pot, heat water to boiling and then simmer; Add 3 yolks, 3 whole eggs, 1.25 c sugar,1 tsp. lemon zest, and one half cup of fresh lemon juice to top of double boiler or bowl. Beat with mixer about 7min. until thick and coats back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1hr.. When cool, beat the remaining 3 egg whites, slowly adding the 1/4 cup sugar, until peaks form. Fold 1/4 egg whites into the (cooled) lemon mixture, and fold gently until no streaks. Now add in broken pieces of the meringue gently into the lemon cream, and pour into a springform pan or individual ramekins and freeze until ready to serve, preferably overnight. Leave at room temp. about 15 min. before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert