If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you think summer squash can't be wild and crazy, think again! These delicious little pizzas will have you saying "More pattypan, please!" —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
medium pattypan squash (about 2 lbs)
tablespoon olive oil
cup organic pizza sauce
cups shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese
cup shredded parmesan cheese
cup uncured pepperoni cut into quarters (optional, omit for vegetarian dish)
tablespoons roughly chopped basil
- Preheat and clean your grill.
- While the grill is heating prep all of your ingredients. For the pattypan squash, cut it into 1/4 inch thick slices and lightly brush them with olive oil on both sides. For the pizza sauce I selected the pastiest sauce available to prevent my pizza toppings from sliding around while they are on the grill. Otherwise, your prep is very similar to making traditional pizza.
- Place the squash slices on the grill over direct high heat (450º-550º F) and grill for 4-5 minutes, with the lid closed as much as possible. You'll want to get some nice grill marks on the squash before turning, so don't move them at all.
- Once they are sufficiently grilled on the bottom, flip the slices over and top each slice with a layer of sauce, parmesan, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Continue cooking with the lid closed for about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted and just starting to bubble.
- Carefully remove the pattypan pizzas from the grill using a large spatula. Allow them to sit for 5 minutes and then sprinkle with fresh basil before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash