If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is one of my all-time favorites when I teach. It came from the Trattoria Montagliari in Greve in Chianti. The original owner, Giovanni Cappelli has passed away, but his recipes live on! He was the James Beard of Chianti. He began producing a traditional style balsamic vinegar in Chianti in the late 60's and served it on gelato. Being American I adore ice cream on my hot apple pie- this is a marriage made in heaven. —divinacucina
Golden Delicious Apples, peeled and sliced thin on a mandoline or box grater
tablespoons Butter, melted
teaspoons Baking Powder
Powdered Sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and lightly flour two round pizza pans or a 9x13 lasagne pan.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together and add the flour, baking powder, milk, butter and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the apple slices and pour into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan on the bottom of the oven for 10 minutes, then place in the center of the oven to cook until golden, about 1 hour.
- Torta di Mele is a very thin, rich cake that will bake down to about one-half inch. It will cut easier if you let it cool before serving. But you can reheat it in the oven before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Italian Dessert