Author Notes: I can’t get enough of coconut. Or of summer. Winter will get here when it gets here. So for the moment, I can sit in the shade of a tree and pretend that the warm (all right, hot) breeze I’m feeling blows from gentle, island-cooling trade winds.
FOR THE CRUST
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
Zest of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 lime wedges
FOR THE COOLER
6 ounces silver tequilla
4 ounces Rose’s Lime Juice
4 ounces coconut liqueur
6 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- First prepare the crust for the rim. Place the coconut, lime zest, chipotle powder, salt, and sugar into a mini chop or blender. Pulse until the coconut has been reduced to about the same size as the sugar and salt crystals. Pour the mixture out into a saucer or shallow bowl broad enough to accommodate the diameter of the glasses’ rims.
- Rub the rims of 2 margarita glasses with lime wedges. Turn each glass upside down and twist them in the coconut mixture. Turn them right side up.
- Shake the can of coconut milk to blend its contents, which tend to separate. Measure all liquid ingredients into a cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice cubes. Shake vigorously. Divide between the two glasses. Make a slit in the center of two lime wedges, and rest them on the rims.
- Store any unused crust mixture in a ziplock bag for the next time you crave a return to Fantasy Island.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut