If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Unnakkai is delicious combination of kerala bananas with coconut . It is served as a tea time snack or as part of Kerala breakfast spread. —Chinnu Susan Kurian
Makes: 15 unnakkai
Kerala bananas (big banana)
cups Grated Coconut
pinches Cardamom powder
tablespoons Ghee for frying
- Steam the bananas with the skin on . If using a pressure cooker keep it for 2 whistles or otherwise tills it's well cooked . Once the bananas are cooked , remove the skin and let it cool . Mash the bananas with fork. It should be the consistency of mashed potatoes,
- Heat two table spoons of ghee in a frying pan . Add grated coconut , sugar and cardamom powder to the pan. Sauté till sugar melts and remove from fire.
- Make 15 lemon sized balls with the mashed bananas. Lightly grease your hands and flatten the banana ball to a circle the size of your palm approximately . Now put a tablespoon of the filling into the centre of flattened banana and close it by joining the edges. Shape it into spindle shaped dumplings . Follow the same with the rest of the balls.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of ghee in frying pan and shallow fry these dumplings till they turn golden brown. Serve warm with tea.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut