Author Notes: Unnakkai is delicious combination of kerala bananas with coconut . It is served as a tea time snack or as part of Kerala breakfast spread. —Chinnu Susan Kurian
Makes: 15 unnakkai
Kerala bananas (big banana)
cups Grated Coconut
pinches Cardamom powder
tablespoons Ghee for frying
In This Recipe
- Steam the bananas with the skin on . If using a pressure cooker keep it for 2 whistles or otherwise tills it's well cooked . Once the bananas are cooked , remove the skin and let it cool . Mash the bananas with fork. It should be the consistency of mashed potatoes,
- Heat two table spoons of ghee in a frying pan . Add grated coconut , sugar and cardamom powder to the pan. Sauté till sugar melts and remove from fire.
- Make 15 lemon sized balls with the mashed bananas. Lightly grease your hands and flatten the banana ball to a circle the size of your palm approximately . Now put a tablespoon of the filling into the centre of flattened banana and close it by joining the edges. Shape it into spindle shaped dumplings . Follow the same with the rest of the balls.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of ghee in frying pan and shallow fry these dumplings till they turn golden brown. Serve warm with tea.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut