preserved grape leaves
ounces sirloin steak, thinly sliced
tablespoons soya sauce
tablespoon olive oil
teaspoon cumin, ground
teaspoons 2 tsp garlic, grated
black pepper, freshly ground
- Partially freeze the steak for easier slicing, about 40-50 minutes. When sliced add all ingredients except grape leaves and let marinate for 1-2 hour.
- Separate the preserved grapes leaves and put in a large bowl, pour the hot water over the leaves and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- To stuff the grape leaves, place it on a flat surface, shiny side down, dry with a paper towel and place about 4-5 slices of beef in the centre of the leaf, fold the stem end over the filling, fold the sides in towards the centre and the roll. Repeat and set aside.
- Grill or pan fry them, couple minutes on each side. Serve with lemon or lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe