If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This hearty rice recipe is very common in Iraq, and is also fairly known throughout the Arab world.
It is simply known as carrot rice (تمن جزر).
From my blog Maryam Culinary Wonders.
Carrots, onions, and beef are laced with Arabian spices along with long grain Basmati rice.
It can easily be converted into a vegetarian dish by omitting the beef mince. —Maryam
- 2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 500 grams minced meat
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon blacl pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- n a pot over medium-high saute the carrots and onion in a tablespoon or two of oil, until onions just wilting.
- Add the spices and seasonings, then the minced meat. Saute until meat just browned.
- Stir in the rinsed and drained rice until coated in the mixture.
- Add boiled water until just covered, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Leave 20 to 25 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the grains are fluffed.
- Serve hot.