If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A pizzeria style pizza with 2 of summer's more curious vegetables hiding under the cheese, fennel and radicchio. The bitter flavor of radicchio is perfectly mellowed by the mozzarella and parm, with a healthy dose of crushed red pepper. —Early Morning Farm
For the Pizza
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 cup radicchio, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup cups grated parmesan
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup strained tomatoes from a carton
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- handful basil leaves, minced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the Dough
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Make the dough: Sprinkle yeast and sugar into warm water. Set aside for 15 minutes. Place flour and salt in mixer and whisk together. When yeast is bubbly and expanded add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the yeast mixture. Combine flour and wet ingredients in mixer. Mix on low speed (2 on a kitchen aid mixer) for 4-5 minutes. Dough should be in a ball chasing itself around the mixer. If dough is too dry add warm water 1 tablespoon at a time. If it’s too wet add flour 1 tablespoon at a time. Place dough ball in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap for one hour. Dough should be doubled in size.
- Make the sauce. Pour the carton of tomatoes into a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and add a healthy glug of olive oil, garlic, and basil. Season with salt & pepper.
- Heat the butter in a skillet. Arranged the fennel in an even layer and cook a few minutes per side until golden at the edges.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Oil a baking sheet or pizza pan and sprinkle with coarse ground cornmeal. Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface. Flip the dough a few times so that each side is floured. Roll the dough out a bit with a rolling pin, then lift it up with your hands and use gravity and your knuckles to gently stretch the dough. Place onto the baking sheet.
- Ladle about a cup of sauce over the pizza, then add the mozzarella. Top with the fennel slices then radicchio, and cover with parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes until pizza is golden and bubbly. Let cool before slicing.