Author Notes: Bean salads (piyazi) are a common Turkish staple and are often served with Turkish meatballs (kofte). I combined beans and chick peas in this one and added lemon juice and vinegar as part of the dressing. The cucumbers add a little crunch. —inpatskitchen
Makes: about 4 side servings
15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
cup white wine vinegar
tablespoons fresh lemon juice
cup thinly sliced red onions cut into one inch pieces
cup seeded and diced cucumber
10 to 12
black olives, halved(I used Kalamatas)
large cherry tomatoes, quartered
3 to 4
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
cup chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- Place both beans into a medium mixing bowl and stir in the vinegar and lemon juice. Let rest on your counter for an hour or two, stirring occasionally.
- While the beans are soaking, place the red onions in a small bowl and cover with water.
- Once the beans have marinated, drain them in a colander and place them in a mixing bowl. Drain the onion and add to the mix.
- If the diced cucumbers are rather moist, blot them dry on paper toweling and add them along with the olives, tomatoes and parsley. Stir in the olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with the sliced eggs. Before serving, drizzle a little more olive oil over the top. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe