If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A North Indian dish, baingan bharta is an exotic combination of roasted eggplants and spices. The characteristic aroma of roasted eggplants blended with the spices makes this dish an irresistible preparation. It is eaten as a part of main course and tastes best with chapattis or parathas. This recipe was written by the Healthline Editorial Team: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/baingan-bharta —Healthline
- 1 pound brinjal/eggplant
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Wash eggplant and pat dry. Roast the eggplants either in a tandoor or a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes or until the skin starts to blister. You can also roast them over open flame. Cool them and peel the skin. Mash the pulp completely and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add cumin seeds and when they start crackling, add onions and sauté until they become golden brown and translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for another 2-4 minutes. Now add green chilies, tomatoes and all the dry spices and cook for 5-10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and pulpy. Lower the heat and add the mashed pulp of the roasted eggplant. Stir continuously and cook for 10-12 minutes, until the eggplant is smoothly blended with the spices.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe