If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love this recipe because it gives you the comfort of a rustic creamy potato soup, but also has the flavor of caramelized fennel and onions which give it such depth. Great on a cold winter day, or really any day for that matter! —ADRIENE
- 3 pounds potatoes (peeled and cut in half moon thin slices)
- 2 fennel bulbs (cleaned, cored, and cut in small dice)
- 2 yellow onions (small dice)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (minced)
- salt & pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Start by pouring the olive oil in a large pot. Once it is hot add in the onions with the sugar and cook for 15 minutes until they are starting to caramelize.
- Now add in the fennel and cook for another 15 or so minutes until everything has a light-medium golden color. Now add in the minced garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Deglaze with the white wine, cook for a couple minutes. Scrape anything up that might be on the bottom of the pan.
- Now add the potatoes and chicken stock. Bring it up to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer and cover loosely with a lid. Season with salt and pepper throughout cooking process. Cook for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Until the potatoes are falling apart.
- Now add in the heavy cream and cook for another 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and finish with the fresh thyme.