Author Notes: A simple but elegant preparation, this recipe comes from Mac's Seafood on Cape Cod. Serve it over sautéed vegetables, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, or grains—the buttery, crisp fish works in any season with any side. —Posie (Harwood) Brien
pound fresh bluefish fillet, cut into 3 pieces
cup finely crushed Ritz crackers (substitute another buttery cracker if you can't find Ritz)
Vegetables, mashed potatoes, polenta, or grains, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Take the fish out of the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon to a plate and save for another use. Leave the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Whisk the egg in a medium bowl. Pour the cracker crumbs into a second medium bowl.
- Heat the bacon fat in the skillet on medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Dip each piece of fish into the egg and then into the cracker crumbs, coating it thoroughly. Place the coated fish into the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Place the skillet with the fish in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven and let the fish rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve over vegetables, mashed potatoes, polenta, or grains.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!