Author Notes: My son-in-law is vegan and will not eat baked goods with white flour, added oils or fats (though he will eat nuts and things made with them). My latest quest has been to make biscuits for him. Inspired by my favorites (an old Gourmet recipe for cream biscuits and one from James Beard), I came up with this, which was a big hit. Next on the agenda: vegan strawberry shortcake. —louisez
Food52 Review: The measurements for these biscuits are just right, and the biscuits come out very flaky—though they would definitely benefit from a little added (vegan) butter or jam! Being a carnivore and dairy lover, I'm excited to make this for my vegan friends to see if it passes muster. —DeannaMarie
Prep time: 2 hrs 12 min
Cook time: 12 min
cup raw cashews (and hot water to cover)
cup unsweetened applesauce
cups white whole-wheat flour
teaspoon kosher salt
tablespoon baking powder
- Soak cashews in hot water to cover, and let sit for 1 to 2 hours. Drain. Put in food processor to grind. Add 3/4 cup water and process till smooth, about 5 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides and bottom of the processor. Add applesauce and process for a minute or two, till smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add reserved wet ingredients and mix till the dough comes together (you can use a stand mixer or mix by hand).
- Drop spoonfuls onto a lined (silpat or parchment) cookie sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes or till lightly browned.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Asked to Bring to Every Gathering