If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first created this soup after watching Giada De Laurentiis make an amazing soup on her show! I couldn't remember the recipe exactly so I just started throwing things together that I had on hand - next thing you know I had this bubbling pot of rich fragrant broth filled with hardy chunks of vegetables and herbs. The best part of this recipe is you have use almost any bit of produce you have in your fridge, add chicken for those carnivores, and sub vegetable for chicken broth to make a wonderfully satisfying VEGAN dish. This one dish soup is quick, simple and EASY way to get your summer zucchini on! —[email protected]
- 3 Roma tomatoes; diced 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots; peeled and diced
- 2 medium zucchini ; diced 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 yellow squash; diced 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion; roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic; minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley; chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme; chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth (alternately you can use vegetable broth if you'd like)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- pinches crushed red pepper flakes (this can be omitted if you don't like heat)
- In a large non stick soup pot heat the oil until hot. Add onions, carrots, and salt and pepper and cook until carrots are crisp tender (about 3 minutes). Then add the garlic, zucchini, squash.
- When the zucchini/squash mixture softens, toss in the tomatoes, broth, thyme and flat leaf parsley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- * for a thicker broth, add 3 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp of cold water before it starts to boil.
- serve garnished with lime wedges and additional flat leaf parsley. Also great garnished with: - shredded cheese - sour cream - avocado
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash