If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love zucchini; to the point we overplanted them and needed to find new ways to consume this delicious vegetable! So here we are, zucchini cupcake or cake for that matter-eat it for breakfast or for dessert, either way it's just tasty. —Dee
Makes 2 dozen cupcakes or 1 cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- 1 1/2 cups Shredded zucchini
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting w/ candied lemon peel garnish
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese (regular cream cheese works too)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (preferably meyer)
- preheat oven to 350*. Mix dry ingredients-flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon.
- Shred zucchini using grater, squeeze out all liquid. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, and oil. Fold in zucchini shreds and mix altogether with dry ingredients. Fold chopped nuts in if using.
- Let cool before piping frosting on.
- To make Frosting: place room temp butter, cream cheese, and vanilla in mixer until incorporated. Slowly add powdered sugar a little at a time until fluffy. You may use more or less powdered sugar depending on the consistency you want. Gently fold lemon zest into frosting and scoop into piping bag ready for use.
- *Optional candied lemon peel garnish- slice lemon rind and cut into thin strips (julienne). Bring 1 cup water and 1 cup white sugar to boil until sugar is dissolved. Cook lemon strips until they are softened and somewhat translucent (5-10mins or so) scoop out with fork and place on baking rack to drain and cool. Garnish atop chilled cupcake and frosting.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash