If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many people lament the end of summer, but I have always looked forward to my favorite season, fall. Growing up in Ohio, my mom, sister and I would go apple picking every year in the crisp weather, and one of our favorite ways to enjoy our haul was simply slicing up the apples and enjoying with chunks of cheddar cheese on the porch (with some fresh pressed apple cider!) This is a perfect side dish for early fall when it still feels a bit like picnic weather, and ideal for my favorite fall pastime - football tailgaiting. Go Buckeyes! —Emily | Cinnamon&Citrus
Serves 6-8 side portions
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- zest of one whole lemon + juice of half the lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar, grated (I love NY state cheddar, yellow or white, the sharper the better)
- 2 sweet tart apples (I like Golden Delicious best - use any apple you love to snack on)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (black is OK too, I just love keeping the color clean)
- 1/2 green cabbage (yield about 3.5-4 cups shredded)
- Combine the sour cream through the sharp cheddar in a large bowl, stirring well with a spatula to get a homogeneous mixture. Add salt and white pepper.
- Quarter, core, and slice your apples and add immediately to the bowl of dressing, folding to coat the slices (the lemon juice and vinegar will keep the sliced apple from oxidizing).
- Quarter, core and thinly slice cabbage and add to the dressing and apples, tossing to coat (with the thickness of the dressing, I find a clean pair of hands is often the best tool here).
- Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate for 2-4 hours for the flavors to combine (bringing to room temperature before serving), and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Apples
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall