If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my go to salad for dinner parties, picnics, or when it's too hot to cook! It can sit on the counter and the flavors will only get better. It's also so flexible! No, almonds? Use pine nuts, or hazelnuts are equally delicious. Shredded pecorino cheese or feta can be subbed.... —aaCooks
- 1 pound Crookneck squash or zucchini or both
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves, chopped
- 1 pint Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup Grated pecorino cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and garlic. Add the thinly sliced onion and let them sit and get happy while you shave the squash into ribbons using a mandoline, or a simple peeler will work just as well. When you get to the seeds, stop and save the middle of the squash for a stock or soup thickener.
- Whisk the olive oil into the dressing until emulsified, then add the basil. Throw the shaved squash into your large bowl and toss around using your hands to coat the zucchini in the dressing. Throw in the cherry tomatoes and give it one more toss. The salad can sit as is for a couple hours if you are not ready to serve. Otherwise, I like to mound the squash on a platter and sprinkle the almonds and cheese on top, followed by a generous round of black pepper and sea salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shaved Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash