If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cornbread goes great with chili on game day! Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook —garlic and zest
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup fine to medium grind yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a sheet of tin foil on a baking sheet. Place a wire rack on top of the tin foil. Lay bacon strips on the wire rack and bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp. Chop the bacon and set aside.
- Prepare a square or round 9" cake pan (glass or metal) by spraying it liberally with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Add the brown sugar, corn, and buttermilk to a blender or food processor. Pulse for 5 seconds. Add the eggs and pulse for another 5 -8 seconds until well combined (note: it will still be lumpy from the corn).
- Make a deep well in the flour mixture. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour. Use a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix. Add the butter and fold it into the batter. Add the cheddar, bacon and jalapeños and fold into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, Turn the cornbread out of the pan and cool for a few minutes more on the wire rack. Cut into wedges or squares and serve.