If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my ongoing search for baked goods for my son-in-law (who is vegan, will not eat anything made with white flour or any added fats), and faced with a tad too much summer squash, I came up with this. It's based on an old recipe clipped long ago, but eliminating eggs, dairy, and added fats. —louisez
Makes 2 loaves
- about 2 medium summer squash or zucchini, seeded and grated (about 2 1/2 c.)
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 3/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 6 oz.containers non-dairy yoghurt (I use coconut)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl. Add wet ingredients and mix to thoroughly combine. Add grated squash and raisins, if using.
- Pour into 2 greased 9" loaf pans and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven till tests done (about 1 hour). Cool 10 min. in pans, then turn out onto racks to cool. Freezes well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash